Magento 1 end of life; the time to upgrade is now
With Adobe ceasing support of Magento 1 at the end of June 2020, time is of the essence for either upgrading to Magento 2 or assessing whether an alternative e-commerce platform would suit your needs better.
How long your Magento 1 site remains functional is now uncertain. This situation also opens you up to the possibility of no longer being PCI compliant and, therefore, potentially liable should a data breach or fraudulent activity occur.
Note that the upgrade process from Magento 1 to Magento 2 is a new website build, not merely a software upgrade of the same website.
Our website, prior to POP’s involvement was a few weeks away from being scrapped, but we decided to invest in it instead, which is now paying off — Director, POP Magento 2 client
Magento 2 is a highly customisable, feature-rich platform that can create complex and bespoke e-commerce stores, including multi-site installations and sites with multiple storefronts (e.g. for if you sell B2B and B2C simultaneously, but with different offerings and pricing models).
The benefits of Magento 2:
- Use for B2B or B2C e-commerce, or both within the same website if you sell to both trade and retail
- Endlessly customisable and hugely functional out of the box
- Widely supported by the developer community and trusted; over 260,000 e-commerce websites currently use Magento
- Extensible via a massive library of Magento extensions that cater for functionality ranging from marketing and customer support, through to optimisation and security
- Connects with your ERP software reducing admin time and the risk of introducing human error
- PCI compliant
The fact that you are creating a new website presents you with the opportunity to consider other platforms if you feel that Magento 2 isn’t the best fit for your e-commerce business, however. Another platform that you might consider is WooCommerce.
Magento hosting and support
Magento 2 can also be resource-hungry when it comes to its hosting requirements. We provide a range of specialist Magento 2 hosting set-ups from VPSs to dedicated servers explicitly configured for the platform and supported by expert Magento hosting engineers.
We can also offer maintenance retainers for your Magento website to keep your e-commerce store secure and running smoothly.
Get in touch
We are experienced at developing for Magento 2, from more straight-forward e-commerce projects to large multi-store front, multi-currency websites, so if you or someone you know would like to know more about migrating to Magento 2 or another e-commerce platform, please get in touch and we will be happy to help.